In Remembrance: A Call To Action - Luke 22:14-20, 24-27 (October 4th)


Recently, Anita and I watched this Hallmark movie, Lead With Your Heart.  And yes, I will watch chick-flicks with my wife, just as she will watch the J.R.R. Tolkien movies with me…it was in the marital vows…, you know, for better or worse. I was thrilled with this movie because it reflected the equality of men and women of our day—too often we only see the husband portrayed as the inconsiderate spouse that forgets the anniversary—in this movie, they are equally guilty of letting their busy lives cause them to forget.  They key for today, though, is what happens when they remember.  They remember the anniversary (through the help of a friend and the help of a phone call), and they move into action to cover their error before the other spouse finds out.
We have all kinds of ways to help us remember things these days.  The old stereotype of tying a string around your finger as I did with the children this morning is from days gone by, though some may still use it.  Some folks will write important events on their calendars and check them every morning.  I place them on my calendar on my phone and on the computer and have it alarm to remind me of where I am supposed to be or what I am supposed to do.  Some folks receive email reminders or pop-up alerts (I use those too).  Some folks set their alarm clocks to remind them to take medicines.  Doctors’ offices will call and text reminders about appointments.  I can’t tell you the number of times I have made use of text messages as reminders.  For example, Anita, Joshua, and I had gone to the store Thursday night and forgotten one of the things on our grocery lists (another way folks try to remember things—though it only helps if you 1) remember to take it to the store with you, and 2) if you take it to the store, remember to check off all the items on the list).  We forgot the cocoa.  I left Friday morning to go to the hospitals to visit both Carl Trollinger and Sylvia Holsonback.  I told Anita I would pick up the cocoa on the way back from the hospital.  Before I hung up from telling her I was heading to the hospital, though, I said, “When I call you to tell you I am leaving Moses Cone, text me a reminder about the store.”  The key thing about all these reminders, though, is that they are calls to action.  They string on the finger, the calendars, the alarms, the emails, the pop-ups, the phone calls, the text messages, the shopping lists—they all come to us to remind us, not simply to sit around and think about what we are remembering, but as reminding us that we need to do something—take medicines, go to the doctor, buy ingredients for a recipe, shop for birthdays or anniversaries, meet someone for lunch, attend a meeting, or something else.  If we just receive the reminders and do nothing but contemplate the reminder or the event the reminder is about, it does us absolutely no good.
So what does all of this have to do with our worship today?  Everything.  We are people who need remainders.  God has known that people needed reminders.  We read through the Old Testament and the stories of the Hebrew people, and whenever there are major events where God steps in and the miraculous happens, God tells them to celebrate a festival or a special meal to commemorate the event, and it is to become an annual event to help the people remember what God has done for them and to remember how they are to live.  We gather today on World Communion Sunday for the celebration of a special meal established by our Savior.  Jesus asks God’s blessings upon the bread, breaks it, and gives it to the disciples telling them to receive it and eat it in remembrance of Him.  While Luke’s Gospel doesn’t tell us explicitly that Jesus said the same thing when offering the cup, Paul, in His letter to the Corinthians, tells us that Jesus said, “This is the cup of the new covenant in my blood.  Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”[i]
Some may be wanting to say, “So? What does that have to do what we’ve been talking about?  What does that have to do with ‘a call to action’?” 
To many times in the twenty years I have been serving as a pastor, I have had folks say to me, “I think we shouldn’t have Holy Communion so much.  It loses its meaning when we have it every month.”  I had a church member ask me one time if we “had to have communion once a month?”.  I told them “No.  Actually, if we wanted to be true to our heritage, we would celebrate it every Sunday.”  To be honest, if we want to be true Methodists we not only would have it every Sunday but every time we gathered for Bible Studies or meetings through the week…and if we truly understood its significance, that it is so much more than sitting in a pew and thinking about the fact that Jesus died for our sins, we would desire it more often as well.
One of the significances of Holy Communion is that it is a call to action.  What action?  It could be found in the song that the choir offered this morning:
In remembrance of me, eat this bread,
In remembrance of me, drink this wine,
In remembrance of me, pray for the time when God’s own will is done.
In remembrance of me, heal the sick,
In remembrance of me, feed the poor.
In remembrance of me, open the door and let your brother in…
In remembrance of me, search for truth,
In remembrance of me, always love…
In case we think that this is just some ideal social gospel that Ragan Courtney and Buryl Red tried to tie to Communion and in no way could be anything that Jesus would have suggested, rather than the song, consider the Word of God.  In our reading this morning, just as Jesus finishes offering this sacred meal to those He called friends, those He called brothers, they begin arguing among themselves about which of them will be the greatest.  Jesus responds to this dispute by telling them: “the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like the one who serves.  For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves?  …I am among you as one who serves.”
My brothers and sisters, if we truly receive this meal in remembrance of Jesus, if we receive this meal as those who have committed their life to following Jesus, then this meal serves more than just a meditation on the cross, but a reminder that we are called to take up our cross and follow Jesus.  This meals serves to remind us that we are called to action…the action of living out our faith by following Jesus in serving those around us who are in need.
To eat this bread in remembrance of Jesus is to remember that we are called to see those who are hungry in our community and strive to feed them and enable them to feed themselves.
To drink this juice in remembrance of Jesus is to remember that we are called to see those who are thirsty because they are without clean drinking water and help them find sources.
To eat this bread in remembrance of Jesus is to remember that we are to see those who are homeless and unemployed and help them find a new start in life.
To drink this juice in remembrance of Jesus is to remember that we are to see those who are grieving and feel alone and to come alongside them and walk the valley of the shadow of death with them.
To eat this bread in remembrance of Jesus is to remember that we are called to see the children in our community who live without love or leadership in their lives and decide to spend time in the school reading with, tutoring, or mentoring a child.
To drink this juice in remembrance of Jesus is to see those whose lives have been turned upside down by storms or fires or earthquakes and help them know that they are cared for by helping them find the courage and ability to start over.
To celebrate this meal, my brothers and sisters, is to hear a call to action, a call to follow Jesus, a call to take up our cross, a call to reach out to all who might be in need.
My brothers and sisters, let us prepare to receive this bread and receive this juice in remembrance of the One Who gave His life for us all…and be prepared to offer our lives in action as His instruments of salvation in our community and the world.
In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.



[i] 1st Corinthians 11:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Between The Trees: The Cedar Tree - Ezekiel 17:22-24

So, What Are We Afraid Of? - Matthew 10:26-33

Who Are We? A Royal Priesthood - 1st Peter 2:9-10 (Sermon from 02/15)