Peter's Footwashing Reflections - John 13:1-17; 31b-35

You know, I never will forget that night.  It was a night of confusion for most of us.  We did not really understand what was going on.  That was always the case with Jesus.  Every time we thought we had it together, we learned we didn’t.  I still remember the time that I told him that he was the Messiah and he started talking about suffering and dying.  I didn’t like the sound of that, so I told him that there was no way he was going to face anything like that.  You know what he did, he called me “Satan.”  He told me that I was thinking about human things and not what God wanted.  I’ve always had that problem, I’ve always jumped to conclusions and spoken or acted without taking the time to try and understand what was really going on.
I did it again that night.  Jesus had gathered us all for the Passover meal.  We were all settled, in the room and enjoying the meal.  Suddenly, in the middle of the meal, without warning, Jesus got up.  He took off his robe, grabbed a towel, a pitcher of water, and a basin, and began washing all our feet.  I couldn’t figure out what he was doing.  This was no job for the host of a meal.  You see, in those days, when a host invited company over for a meal or any kind of gathering, he provided the water, basin, and towel for his guests to wash their feet.  If the guests were really special people, the host would have one of his servants wash their feet. 
You might wonder what that was about--why footwashing was such a big deal.  Well, in our day, we didn’t have paved roads or sidewalks…we didn’t have Nike’s or New Balance's, Timberlands or Hush Puppies, Florsheims or Laradoes.  We wore sandals…not as fancy as these, but they were open sandals, and so when we walked those dusty roads our feet became dirty.  If it rained, our feet were muddy.  If we mis-stepped around livestock, our feet were…well, you get the picture.  That night, though I do not remember why, we had not bothered washing our feet.  But here was Jesus, in the middle of the meal, taking off our sandals and washing our feet.
He got to me last.  I asked, “Jesus, what are you doing?”  He said, “You don’t understand right now, but you will, now let me wash your feet.”  I was not having any part of this.  My master was not going to wash my feet.  I quickly, once again without thinking, said, “Jesus, you will never wash my feet.”  I couldn’t believe what he said next.  It was almost as bad as when he called me Satan.  He said, “If I do not wash your feet, then you have no part of me.  If you don’t let me wash your feet, then you have completely missed the purpose of what I am doing and why I am here.”  Realizing how important it was, without thinking again, I said, “Jesus, don’t just stop at my feet…wash my whole body.”  Jesus just chuckled, as he often did, and said, “Peter, you still don’t understand.  The rest of your body is already clean, it is just your feet that need washing.  Be patient.  I’ll explain.”
After he finished washing my feet, he cleaned his hands and we went back to eating.  He then began to explain why he had done this.  He said, “Y’all call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, because that is who I am.  But now understand this, if I am your teacher and your Lord, and I have washed your feet, then you need to wash each other’s feet.  Do this, because servants are not greater than their master nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them.”
I finally began to get it…some of the other disciples had been arguing earlier who among us was the greatest disciple.  When Jesus had gotten wind of their argument he had told us, that if we wanted to be the greatest of his followers, we had to be willing to become the least.  We hadn’t really gotten it when he said it the first time, but after the footwashing, I understood.  Jesus, the Messiah, had come to serve, He was God’s servant, but he was also servant to man, for that was how He brought Salvation, by coming to us out of his mightiness, to be just like us…He didn’t consider himself too great, but came to love by serving.  It also helped me to understand that that was what was took place on the cross too…Jesus loves us so much that more than being a footwasher, Jesus humbled himself to the point of taking the cross, punishment reserved for those who have not simply sinned, but who have committed outrageous crimes…he did it all so that we might be forgiven of our sins.
What Jesus did that night as he washed our feet was to remind us that He was continuing to send us forth with the message of God’s kingdom and he was showing us how we were to carry forth that message…it was to be a life of service for one another and all of God’s people.  He told us that much…he said, “love one another.  Just has I have loved you, you also should love one another.  This way everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
And my friends, that is how I have sought to live my life ever since he forgave me for denying him, yes, I did that too, once again talking without thinking, but he forgave me, and he will forgive each of you for whatever you have done, and then he calls you to serve him, just as he called me back, telling me that if I loved him, I would feed his sheep, I would serve them that they may know Him.  That’s what this is all about…being reminded of God’s love for us, how Christ humbled himself for us, and being willing to love all of God’s people so much that we serve them, whether it is washing feet, volunteering in the nursing homes, working in a food pantry, helping  the homeless, visiting the sick and dying, welcoming the immigrant, ministering to those that do not know Jesus, or any other of a variety of ways.

Tonight, you are invited to join with me in this reminder of God’s call to serve one another.  No one is required to.  You can remain in your seats and simply reflect on God’s call to be willing to serve one another…but I encourage you to come and take part, for it is in our actions that God’s Word becomes ingrained in us, more so than merely thoughtful reflection.  If you choose to come forward, find a partner, either slide off your shoes and socks at your seat or after you have come forward, take turns washing one another’s feet—pouring the water over their feet, and then wiping them dry with a towel--and as you return to your seats, while others are coming forward, simply reflect on what other ways God may be calling you to serve your brothers and sisters and all of humanity.

In the name of the Father and The Son and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Between The Trees: The Cedar Tree - Ezekiel 17:22-24

So, What Are We Afraid Of? - Matthew 10:26-33

Who Are We? A Royal Priesthood - 1st Peter 2:9-10 (Sermon from 02/15)