Always There - Psalm 42:9-11 (Wednesday Night Reflection)

 This is another night of starting with the questions, though, these may be a little tougher to answer…at least answer aloud…because they are about times that we struggle with and may not want anyone else to know about.
Have you ever had those times when everything was amazing, times where it was sunny, life was good, blessing upon blessing was readily evident, where there was never a doubt in your mind that God was smiling down upon you, and then, a storm cloud appears out of nowhere covering the sky and blotting out the sun and you wonder just where God went?  We wonder just what has caused God to frown upon us, or worse yet, turn His back on us…
Maybe it’s not a sudden change in circumstance…maybe it is a longtime struggle.  Maybe we are constantly questioning why God is not answering our prayers.  You know, that same prayer we have lifted up over and over again…possibly for the last year…the last ten years…the last twenty years…and we are still waiting for God to act.  We are still waiting for God to brighten the ongoing darkness in our lives that seems like it will never pass. We wonder where in the world God may be?  We wonder if we are wasting our breath praying?
How many of us have had those days…those nights…those struggles?  If so, we join the Psalmists who cry out throughout the book, including tonight’s verses:
“I say to God, my rock, ‘Why have you forgotten me?  Why must I walk mournfully because the enemy oppresses me?’  As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, ‘Where is your God?’”
Way too often we are ashamed to admit that we have or have had those dark nights.  We are ashamed that we have ever questioned the presence of God in our lives.  We think the idea of being anguished in our faith is a sign of weak or absence faith.  We don’t want anyone else to know…we hide it well.  We walk around with smiling faces, while, internally, our souls are screaming in agony.
Why be silent?  Why be ashamed?  Do we really think when we are hiding our struggles from our brothers and sisters, that we are hiding it from God?  We can never hide our true selves from God.  We constantly stand naked before God…our very being is exposed to God, whether we desire it to be so or not.  Do we really think that Adam or Eve were successful at hiding their nakedness when they were in the Garden?  Do we really think God didn’t know where they were or what they had done?
Yes, God asked, “where are you?”[i]  Just like Jesus, when confronting the Disciples, asked, “What were you arguing about?”[ii]  Jesus knew.[iii]  God knew.  God knows.  So why do we try to hide our struggles of faith?  Why do we try to hide that we are feeling like we are in the midst of a dark night where there is no light in sight…or the light seems so far off that we will never find ourselves in it again.
I will confess.  I have been there.  I have been in those times where it seemed like God was completely absent from my life.  It happened before I was in the ministry, and, to be completely honest, it has happened since I have been in the ministry.  Does that shock any of you?  Does it trouble any of you?  I can tell you that it is not where I am now, but I have been there…and I may very well be there again someday.
Yet, as I do, I am comforted by the fact that I am in the company of David and the other Psalmists who wrote,
“Why have you forgotten me?”
“How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?  How long must I bear pain in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all day long?  How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?”[iv]
We may even get to the opening words of Psalm 22: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Wow…it is easy to get to the point where we are downright dark and depressing right in the middle of our prayer meeting and worship can’t we?  Anybody want to stay right here in this darkness, with the heavy dark rain clouds that seem to have settled over our island this week?
I don’t.
You see, I saved my “God Sighting” from this past week until right now.  It happened in two different ways.  Sadly, I don’t have a picture of the first, the one that set this whole reflection in motion.  It was last Saturday.  We were on the way back from my very first trip to the Cape.  We were trying, it turns out unsuccessfully, to navigate our way around this massive line of rain that we could see coming.  Suddenly, our beautiful sunny Saturday was turned into a rain shower on that boat that would have served as a great skin exfoliate, for any who desire that sort of thing, as the ice cold raindrops seemed to slice into our face and arms and every exposed piece of skin.  Yet in the midst of this storm, we happened to look toward the clouds…and looking there we saw something I, nor our captain, had never seen before.  It was the outline of the sun shining through the clouds.
One of the things I have always tried to remember and one thing I share with folks that seem to have darkness settling in about them is to remind us that no matter how dark the storm clouds, no matter how dark the night, the Son is always shining.
That is where the Psalmist ends up as he talks to himself, “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.”  The Psalmist declares, in the midst of his darkness and despair, that God is our Hope and that God will be our help and our rock…that God is the one that we can cling to, even when it seems like everything else is trying to block him out.
When the Psalmist cried out , “How Long, O Lord?” He concludes, “But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.”
And the Psalmist when he cries out, “My God, My God, why have you abandoned me,” confesses by the end of the Psalm that he realizes that even when God felt absent, He was still their sustaining Him.  Where did the Psalmist find that presence of God in Psalm 22?
That is my other God sighting…from Monday night.  When we saw the fullness of the moon and loaded up in the car and drove down to Shell Point to see it, only to watch the cloud cover come between us and the moon as we drove.  There, it was almost completely dark, other than the clouds reflecting the moonlight…the more I looked at it the more it hit me: No, the moon is not the sun…it simply reflects the sun’s light, but as it reflects the sun’s light, it dispels the darkness…and the clouds are the darkness trying to cover us, but even they could not block out the moonlight, they in some ways even reflected and intensified the light.
In Psalm 22, the Psalmist realizes that he has experienced the presence of God in the midst of his struggles right in the midst of the congregation—the gathered people of God.  We are called to be like the moon, we are called to be a reflection of the Son, into the lives of those in the darkness…we are to be a reflection of that light that can break through the clouds.  We help dispel the darkness, not on our own, but as we reflect the light of the Son that has shown into our lives…and when we shine that light through the clouds that descend on others’ lives, or even our lives, when we reveal our faith in the midst of the clouds, the light just may be intensified  in such a way it breaks through the darkness even brighter, for we are reminded that despite the darkness, God is Always There, even to the end of the age![v]
In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit!  Amen.





[i] Genesis 3:9
[ii] Mark 9:33
[iii] Luke 9:47
[iv] Psalm 13:1-2
[v] Matthew 28:20b

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Between The Trees: The Cedar Tree - Ezekiel 17:22-24

So, What Are We Afraid Of? - Matthew 10:26-33

Who Are We? A Royal Priesthood - 1st Peter 2:9-10 (Sermon from 02/15)