Giving God What He Paid For 1st Corinthians 6:20 / 1st Peter 2:24 (Wednesday Night Reflection)



I can’t tell you the number of times Anita and I have been through a drive-thru, placed our order, paid for our order, gotten home, pulled the food out, and there was something missing.  If I have picked it up by myself, that discovery is usually followed by, “why didn’t you check it before you left?”  When that happened and we lived in Burlington, most of the time one or the other of us would quickly slide back over to Wendy’s, Sheetz, or Cookout (the usually problem spots) and, nicely, ask them to correct the order so we could have what we paid for.  Anyone else been there?
How many of you order online from somewhere like eBay where you are dealing with individual sellers as opposed to a business?  I have multiple times.  One of the first things I check before bidding on an item is to see the seller’s ratings and comments.  If I see a lot of “Item not as described” or “Item never arrived,” I quickly move on to a different seller or look elsewhere.  I don’t want to join the people who did not get what they paid for.
Couples, how many of you would be happy if you paid in advance for your 25th anniversary trip, including your hotel reservations for the honeymoon suite, with no refunds possible, and when you checked into the hotel you discovered they had overbooked and all that was left for y’all was a small room with no window and two twin beds?
What about moving into a house you had built and will be paying the bank for over the next 25 years, only to find out that the plumber had deposited his check but had installed Aquasource hardware in your kitchen and bathrooms after you paid for Kohler?  Anyone happy with that scenario?
Why is this?  Because we have always been told you get what you pay for…and in return we expect to receive what we pay for…and we don’t get what we paid for, we feel cheated, and that usually is accompanied by feelings of disappointment or anger.  The truth of the matter is, the more we paid, the more an emotional stake we have in our response.
The question I want us to answer tonight, is whether or not we give God what He paid for?  What has God paid for?
In 1st Corinthians 6:20 we read, “For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.”
Paul tells the Corinthians and each of us that we have each been bought with a price.  God has paid for each of us, entirely.
I think sometimes we think that God only rented out our minds and our behinds for one or two hours a week, and often we begrudgedly give Him that.  Sometimes we might be a little more generous and we might give him our whole Sunday and half our Wednesdays, but other than that, we claim Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and, oh yeah, the other half of Wednesday, for our own…to do with ourselves as we want to do.
Now some here tonight might want to say, “Hey preacher, I can’t be here 24/7—though with all the meetings and other activities it seems like you and the others want me here that long.  Besides preacher, you are not even here 24/7.  You have to understand, I have a family to take care of…I have a job that I have to work…
God doesn’t expect us to be here 24/7.  In fact God doesn’t want us to be here that much.  God sends us forth each time we gather.  The question is, do we remember that God has paid for us, and we have surrendered ourselves to Him, and we still belong to Him when we leave here?
Do we remember that we are called to love God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind, all our strength—meaning that we are to love God completely with all that we are?  When we leave here on Sundays or Wednesdays or any other time, do we remember that we still belong to God?
If we go out to eat on Sunday after church (the time I am told that wait-staff dread the most), does our attitude toward the person serving us reflect that we remember whose we are, especially if they make a mistake?
If we are still in the workforce, does our attitude toward our coworkers, our supervisors, or our employees reflect that we remember whose we are?  What about when that coworker stabs us in the back or our supervisor unfairly reprimands us or our employee shows up late?
If we are at home, does the music we listen to, the television shows we watch, that activities that we participate in reflect that we remember whose we are?
If the phone rings and the gossip starts flowing, do we remember whose we are?
If we are in public with a group of friends who start telling racist jokes or start making fun of someone because of a disability, do we remember whose we are?
If the cashier gives us too much change or we get to the parking lot and realize that she forgot to ring up one of the items, do we remember whose we are?
When we look at our paycheck or in our wallet or in our bank accounts, do we remember whose we are?
When we wake up and the sun is shining and the wind has laid down or the fish are biting, do we remember whose we are?
When we look around at those struggling in our community, in our nation, and in the world, whether because of their own choices, someone else’s attack, or because of a natural disaster, do we remember whose we are?
The thing is, my brothers and sisters, while we might hold tightly to anything we pay for, gripping it with all our strength, God holds onto us with an open hand…freely giving us the option remember that we belong to Him or to reclaim our lives as our own. Yet as we consider whether to remain in that open hand or not, may we always remember, as Peter reminds us, the price God has paid: “He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.” 
I don’t know how many of us hear are familiar with Corrie Ten Boom.  She and her family were a devout Christian family in the Netherlands in the early part of the last century.  During the 1940’s they hide, feed, and care for Jews in their home in an effort to keep them from being sent to concentration camps during the German occupation.  They were eventually found out and sent to the concentration camp in Ravensbruck.  Prior to her death, she shared much of her experience and how it changed her.  I want to close with an excerpt from one of her books I used as a devotional:
"If you and I do not give ourselves entirely to the Lord, we do not give Him the value He has paid for us on the cross. We were bought at a very high price. That cross was horrendous. It was an extremely high price to pay for you and me. When I was a prisoner, I had an awful experience where I had to stand naked. I could hardly bear it. And then suddenly I remembered what was said about the Lord Jesus, that they divided His clothes among themselves. It was then that I understood a little more about the incredibly high price of that cross. That was because I was suffering the death on the cross in a small way. That was when I could say, “Oh Jesus, how could I compare my pain with Your physical pain, and Your emotional pain? Oh, Jesus, however much my soul suffers, one look at You strengthens my heart. Did You bear all that for me? For my incredible sin? Should I complain about my pain? And not suffer it with patience?” Yes, it is a high price, but it has been paid. It is wonderful to be able to surrender to Him, who bought us. With body, soul, and spirit. And to lose your life for Him. It means you gain your life."[i]
Are we giving God what He paid for?
In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Amen.




[i] "I Stand at the Door and Knock: Meditations by the Author of The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom (Chapter 8 – “A Pure and Holy Life”)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Between The Trees: The Cedar Tree - Ezekiel 17:22-24

So, What Are We Afraid Of? - Matthew 10:26-33

Who Are We? A Royal Priesthood - 1st Peter 2:9-10 (Sermon from 02/15)